Sunday, March 4, 2012

Something different Sunday - Designing a virtual necklace

I first 'met' Sharon of My Passport to Style when I read her post on the Henry Holland A/W 12 runway show for London Fashion Week.  She had me sniggering into my full fat (and proud of it) mocha.

A couple of emails bounced between us which ended up with Sharon asking me if I would be interested in designing her a virtual necklace which she would feature along side some of my existing collection on her blog.  I was intrigued.  I said 'yes!' and got to work.

Sharon sent me a link to her Pinterest fashion inspiration board....

Sharon's fashion and style pinterest board
...and from this I pulled together this collage to abstract the colours and materials - essentially my way of kick-starting the design process.

sketchbook collage, colours and material, March 2012, Cari-Jane Hakes
Sharon also told me which pieces from my existing collection she liked the best; Storm NecklaceYellow Submarine Ring and the Barnacle Ring.

Sharon's favourites and a few others, from the existing Hybrid Handmade Collection
From Sharon's favourites I began to focus in on pebble shapes and faceted textures; this combined with the colours and textures from the collage all came together to create the following sketches.

Sketchbook design for Sharon's Virtual Necklace, March 2012, Cari-Jane Hakes
The pendant became a chunk of faceted wood or turquoise stone - based on the size of a pebble that would fit comfortably in the palm of your hand.  It is strung on a bright turquoise silk chord or a gold chain.  It is a meditative little piece, positioned at the perfect length for pulling this way and that, along the  midsection of the chain whilst you ponder life's big questions.  A couple of little gold 'barnacles' complete the composition.

So, there you have it.  My first ever 'virtual commission'.  A big thank you to Sharon for coming up with this great idea.  Now, I think I'm going to have to go off and make it for real!

4 comments:

  1. LOVE. obviously, sharon I have the same tastes....the storm necklace is my favorite and i adore the barnacle ring as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh! Lots of people liking the Storm necklace - it has had a good run in the treasuries of late too!

      Delete
  2. Really nice stuff! Love your sketch. Vx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Victoria and for stopping by!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...