Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Virtual becomes Real

Following on from my last post (where Sharon of My Passport to Style asked me to design her a virtual necklace based on her pinterest style board) I decided to turn my sketches into reality!

Gold and Grain faceted pendant, Cari-Jane Hakes, March 2012
I have wanted to incorporate wood into my work for some time now and Sharon's pinterest page gave me the perfect excuse; it is full of heavy timber wedge platform sandals.  So wood became the main material for the first pendant and a touch of gold was used as an accent tone.  I wanted this material to glint and gleam within the mat texture of the wood - like sunlight on a forest floor.

Gold and Grain faceted pendant, Cari-Jane Hakes, March 2011
For me, the back has to be just as beautiful as the front.  This pendant is no exception - I would go as far to say that it could be worn both ways depending on your whim.

I really wanted to team this pendant with a beautiful silk turquoise cord to pick up on the colours pinned on Sharon's fashion inspiration pinterst board - but alas I could only find this orange one in my stash.  Had I been in London I would have dashed to VV Rouleaux and picked out something utterly gorgeous (and turquoise).

Detail, Cari-Jane Hakes, March 2012
Sharon has written up a lovely piece on my work which she has published on her blog today which you can find here!

Now wait till you see the hunk of faceted turquoisness I've been working on today for the second pendant - more on that tomorrow mes amis.

5 comments:

  1. Oh wow cari!! This one reminds me of eucalyptus leaves which often have amazing sap nodules scattered over them. When I am hOme and life normalises I will send you some with those beach stones. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Oh I look forward to your life normalising too - hang in there! Leafs and stones can wait indeed.

      Delete
  2. Hi Cari, thank-you for the love care and attention you have lavished on my virtual piece, it's been so interesting getting to know your design process and great to share it with my readers in this way. I'm curious to know if you have a name yet for the new edition to your collection? Sharon Sahara xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome - it has been a real eye opener for me. I will need to muse some more on a name for this new collection.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...