Thursday, March 6, 2014

Homage to Richard Long

I have had these small volumes in my head for a while.  In the past I've made a few in brass and a few in silver.  Split them in two, filed a small 'seat' into their base and set them on the flat, to see how they would lie as a small family of related forms.  At the foundation of this is my appreciation of the work of Richard Long.  In small corners of quiet space I have often constructed my own little temporary artworks, abandoning them to tide and scurried footfall.

Walking Shells, Cari-Jane Hakes
The Etsy 3xR challenge (which is setting all participants the task of reusing, recycling or re purposing items from their workshops/studios) is forcing me to work more quickly with some of the concepts and ideas that have been gathering for some time.  Don't think, just DO.  For week 8 of the challenge I gathered all of the above and made these:

Earring prototypes, homage to Richard Long, copper and silver
And so it was that the idea of positioning these little pods/shells was abandoned.  Instead, they became strung on a silvered thread, meandering into the distance.

Earring prototypes, homage to Richard Long, by Cari-Jane Hakes, March 2014


1 comment:

  1. I love these a lot. There is an immediacy about them. The essence of seed pods.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...