Thursday, March 13, 2014

The Arctic Explorer - week 9 of the Etsy 3xR 2014 Challenge

As the spring sunshine begins to shake everything awake with showers of vibrant fresh green and deep sonorous yellows, my workbench is in another time and season all together!

This little experimental piece is fresh out of the studio this morning and is my week 9 piece for the Etsy Metal 3xR 2014 Challenge.

'Paul-Emile Victor writes home in 1934 during his first visit to Greenland describing the Aurora Borealis'
Cari-Jane Hakes, March 2014
I'm using this EtsyMetal year long challenge to develop new designs and ideas within the various conceptual touchstones that I have been developing over the last few years.

With this piece there is a suggestion of exploration, of a path, of a route trodden tentatively and boldly by the French explorer Paul-Emile Victor.  In addition, the labradorite beads offer a kind of communication between two points.


details, Cari-Jane Hakes, March 2014
On the detail front, I'm rather pleased with this (fiddly!) little bead termination for the tiny spheres of labradorite that I strung carefully on midnight blue thread for this piece.  Again, experimental, but it works!


5 comments:

  1. I love this piece, and I love that you are using the challenge to come up with new ways to work with the materials that you enjoy the most.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is a great challenge - I just wish I could keep up!

      Delete
  2. I like that whilst there is both subtlety in the conceptual underpinnings of each piece you do...they are not so abstract as concepts as to be impossible to read. With your pieces, as soon as I read the name of the piece, the concept is immediately legible ....accessible, not some overly complex construct that is completely inaccessible and requires both an instruction manual and a masters degree in interpretation to understand.... If you know what I mean.

    I always remember in Architecture school (well, landscape architecture school, which was in the same school as Architecture), how often students would have complex narratives running through designs, me included. For the most part the narratives were completely inaccessible. Only a very talented designer was able to reveal the narrative without great interpretation required.

    I don't know whether jewelry as a medium is easier to 'narrate' so to speak, but in most cases your pieces speak for themselves..they narrate for themselves, no instruction manual or interpretation guideline needed.

    I think you have, as you probably know...a customer for life here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrea - kind words indeed - thank you for taking the time to type them out for me - you made my day. x

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...